- MASS MoCA
Since October 2015, The Studios at MASS MoCA have hosted over 500 artists and writers for residencies up to 8 weeks.
Hosted by MASS MoCA’s Assets for Artists program, selected artists receive private studio space on MASS MoCA’s campus, newly renovated housing, free access to the museum’s galleries throughout the residency, shared use of printmaking and weaving equipment, optional financial and business coaching from Assets for Artists staff, and a daily group meal.
Applications for the Studios at MASS MoCA are currently closed. The next deadline for the Fall/Winter 2020 season (which runs Oct 2020 through March 2021) will be July 8, 2020. The application will be made available in early May. See the link below for more details.
Residents will receive:
- A private studio in attractive space on MASS MoCA’s re-purposed mill campus, with generous natural light, 24-hour studio access, plywood floors, a work table and chair in each studio, and shared slop sinks and bathrooms.
- Housing across the street from the museum, in newly renovated apartments (private bedroom/queen bed + shared kitchen and bath). These are lovely apartments, but note that it’s communal living (4 people to an apartment) in an active downtown location — sensitive sleepers be advised.
- One communal meal per day, in the company of other artists-in-residence.
- MASS MoCA member benefits for the duration of the residency, including free access to the museum’s galleries and discounts on performing arts events and museum store purchases.
- Shared access to a 22-inch Harrisville loom, 45-inch Herald loom, a Dickerson roller etching press, and a hydraulic flatbed press.
- Optional one-on-one artist-focused financial and business coaching through the staff of MASS MoCA’s Assets for Artists program, helping artists and writers in all disciplines strengthen the business side of their artistic practice.
The full-price residency fee is $650/week, but many participants receive need-based and merit-based financial aid. There is no application fee.
LEARN MORE AND APPLY.
Here’s what artists are saying about their residency experience in The Studios
“My residency at The Studios at MASS MoCA was a very special time of exploration, learning, stimulation, and fun. You have an unbeatable combination there: good studio space, nice accommodations, great location, congenial number and mix of artists, gracious staff, and the unusual bonus of the visual resources of the world-class exhibitions of MASS MoCA right there. A fantastic mix.” — Linda Stillman, New York
“I was very impressed with how the residency was managed. Responses to questions were always prompt and friendly. This was so valuable to me, especially traveling from a long distance. I was able to really look forward to and enjoy the whole experience because of how well the residency details were managed.” — Jessica Bell, Vancouver
“Hospitality and administrative efforts were exceptional! I feel that the administrative team’s generosity, depth, and kindness set the tone for a culture that carried over to the residents.” — Brian Gillis, Eugene, Oregon
Sookoon Ang – Paris, France
Miranda Blennerhassett, Dublin, Ireland
Alexis Day – Portland, OR
Insoon Ha – Toronto, Canada
Sun Woo Jung – Jersey City, New Jersey
Woo Jae Lim – Highland Park, MI
Irene Mamiye – New York, NY
Monica Mazzone – Milan, Italy
Caitlin McDonagh – Montréal, Québec
Sarah Valeri – Brooklyn, NY
Ella Weber – Bennington, NE
Siru Wen – Los Angeles, CA
Yuchen Chang – Brooklyn, NY
Furen Dai – Brookline, MA
Rhiannon Inman-Simpson – Bergen, Norway
Anastatia Spicer – Northampton, MA
Click here to view our growing list of artists who have gone through the residency program.