Grammy-winning vocal titans Roomful of Teeth return to their summer home at MASS MoCA to create new works and hone techniques. Roomful of Teeth will be in residence for a week with special guests — composer/performer and media artist Pamela Z and San Francisco-based electric guitar/percussion duo The Living Earth Show — culminating in a knock-out work-in-progress performance of This Impossible Building.
This Impossible Building is an evening-length multi-media work for soloist, vocal octet, guitar, and percussion. Using live sampling, gesture control, and images of (impossible and possible) spaces, the all-star cast of musicians create, demolish, and renovate sonic and visual worlds within This Impossible Building. With her signature approach to her compositional practice, Z incorporates speech fragments—taken from interviews with architects, dwellers, workers, and the ensemble members themselves—as sonic building blocks for the harmonic and melodic motifs and the structural foundation of the piece.
Not a member? Become one here for free admission, exclusive invites, and more.
Make a Plan
- Preferred ticket holders get the best seat in the house and museum admission on the day of or after the event.
- This performance will take place inside MASS MoCA’s Hunter Center. Masks are required during the performance, except while eating and drinking.
- Please note, museum admission is not included with your event ticket unless indicated. Purchase museum admission here.
- All events at MASS MoCA are accessible to all audiences. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to inquire about accessibility needs and services.
- By purchasing a ticket to join MASS MoCA’s visitors, staff, and artists on the museum campus, you agree to follow a Courtesy Code, detailed here. Our full COVID FAQ is here.
- All sales are final; no refunds or exchanges.
Have some time before the show? Our Research & Development Store is open until live events begin.
If you’re seeking a bite, check out restaurants in downtown North Adams, or find a nosh right here on campus: BIGGDADDY’s Philly Steak House, Bright Ideas Brewing, Casita, or Lickety Split Café. A full bar serves Bright Idea Brewing beers and Berkshire Mountain Distillery spirits.
Image courtesy of Anja Schütz