“The combination of music and art made me feel like I was in a dream…[it] transported us to another place.” — Jennifer, Auditory After Hours visitor
What if you could feel art — with your ears? Our new series Auditory After Hours gives visitors a chance to engage with art in an all-new way: while listening to a bespoke experience curated by one of your favorite musicians. Come at night, wander the museum’s cavernous spaces after hours, and prepare to have eyes bedazzled, ears enthralled, and minds blown.
The limitlessly innovative pianist, composer, and bandleader Jason Moran has always taken jazz to new places—whether collaborating with world-class visual artists, mounting a solo exhibition at the Whitney Museum of American Art, or as Artistic Advisor for Jazz at the Kennedy Center. Now he brings it to the MASS MoCA galleries with a selection of music specially designed for Sol LeWitt: A Wall Drawing Retrospective. LeWitt’s patterns have inspired Moran since early in his career; in Moran’s own words, this Auditory After Hours set is geared towards “breaking the grid”—whether enjoyed in LeWitt or any of our expansive galleries. Our minds are blown in advance.
Snag a ticket fast (tickets and time slots are limited!), and bring your best headphones (and smartphone), to hear what they’ve cooked up. And stay tuned: there are more Auditory After Hours headed your way from Kaki King, Tune-Yards, and more.
Now available upon request: choose to dive into the Auditory After Hours’ back catalogue and listen to Clipping’s underwater soundscape from December or Sylvan Esso’s previously sold-out indie-pop soundtrack. Just speak with the event staff when you arrive on the night of to gain access to these past Auditory After Hours.
What to Expect:
- Ticket holders should bring their own smartphone or other WiFi enabled listening device and headphones in order to access the music.
- Upon arrival, ticket holders will be provided a link via email that will allow the music to begin streaming. The music will be accessible until 9:15pm
- Gallery admission is rolling, guests can show up anytime within 30 minutes of their timed ticket.
- To keep your transaction as touch-free as possible, please have your e-ticket ready to be scanned.
- Our staff will be wearing masks and smiles (even if you can’t see them). All patrons must wear masks as well.
- All potential bottlenecks, especially at the museum entrance, will be marked for social distancing.
- Galleries will be open until 9pm. Visitors will not have access to outdoor exhibitions. James Turrell, Sarah Oppenhiemer, and Wendy Red Star in Kidspace will also be closed.
- All events at MASS MoCA are accessible to all audiences. Please contact email@example.com if you would like to inquire about accessibility needs and services.
- By purchasing a ticket to join MASS MoCA’s visitors, staff, and artists on the museum campus, you agree to follow a COVID Courtesy Code, detailed here.