- MASS MoCA
Since October 2015, The Studios at MASS MoCA have hosted over 300 artists and writers for residencies up to 10 weeks.
The next deadline for general applications will be in July 2018, for fall/winter sessions. Check back in May for the application link.
Currently, we are only accepting applications from Massachusetts-based artists for a special “Financial Wellness” residency session (up to 4 weeks) from November 7, 2018 – December 4, 2018. This subsidized residency opportunity offers a deeply discounted fee and additional professional development programming.
Deadline: April 13, 2018, 11:59pm EST. Click here to learn more and apply.
Residents will receive:
- A private studio in attractive space on MASS MoCA’s re-purposed mill campus, with generous natural light, 24-hour studio access, plywood floors, a work table and chair in each studio, and shared slop sinks and bathrooms. (Certain applicants, depending on their projects, will be invited to share a communal studio space at Makers’ Mill — the printmaking and fiber arts studio — in downtown North Adams, instead of a private studio.)
- Housing across the street from the museum, in newly renovated apartments (private bedroom/queen bed + shared kitchen and bath). These are lovely apartments, but note that it’s communal living (4 people to an apartment) in an active downtown location — sensitive sleepers be advised.
- One communal meal per day, in the company of other artists-in-residence.
- MASS MoCA member benefits for the duration of the residency, including free access to the museum’s galleries and discounts on performing arts events and museum store purchases.
- Free access to Makers’ Mill, a printmaking and fiber arts makerspace on Main Street in North Adams (a short walk from the museum), offering shared use of relief press, etching presses, silkscreen and book arts equipment, as well as looms, sewing machines, small tools and work tables.
- Optional one-on-one artist-focused financial and business coaching through the staff of MASS MoCA’s Assets for Artists program, helping artists and writers in all disciplines strengthen the business side of their artistic practice.
The full-price residency fee is $650/week, but many participants receive need-based and merit-based financial aid. There is no application fee.
Here’s what artists are saying about their residency experience in The Studios
“My residency at The Studios at MASS MoCA was a very special time of exploration, learning, stimulation, and fun. You have an unbeatable combination there: good studio space, nice accommodations, great location, congenial number and mix of artists, gracious staff, and the unusual bonus of the visual resources of the world-class exhibitions of MASS MoCA right there. A fantastic mix.” — Linda Stillman, New York
“I was very impressed with how the residency was managed. Responses to questions were always prompt and friendly. This was so valuable to me, especially traveling from a long distance. I was able to really look forward to and enjoy the whole experience because of how well the residency details were managed.” — Jessica Bell, Vancouver
“Hospitality and administrative efforts were exceptional! I feel that the administrative team’s generosity, depth, and kindness set the tone for a culture that carried over to the residents.” — Brian Gillis, Eugene, Oregon
Click here to view our growing list of artists who have gone through the residency program.