- MASS MoCA
The Studios at MASS MoCA provides residences for artists and writers, hosted by MASS MoCA’s Assets for Artists program. Selected artists receive private studio space on MASS MoCA’s campus, newly renovated housing, free access to the museum’s galleries throughout the residency, financial and business coaching from Assets for Artists staff, and free use of Makers’ Mill, a printmaking and fiber arts makerspace located a short walk from the Studios.
The application deadline has passed for spring/summer 2017 residencies. Stay tuned: We’ll announce our next application round by April for residencies beginning fall 2017. Keep an eye on our Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for announcements and join our email list.
- Private, furnished studio space at MASS MoCA, available 24/7
- Housing (private bedroom/queen bed, shared kitchen, and bath) in newly renovated apartments directly across the street from the museum
- One communal meal per day in the company of fellow artists-in-residence
- MASS MoCA member benefits for the duration of the residency, including free access to the museum’s galleries and discounts on performing arts events and museum store purchases
- Free access to Makers’ Mill (a printmaking and fiber arts makerspace on Main Street in North Adams, offering shared use of two etching presses, a relief press, screen-printing, and book arts equipment, as well as floor looms, sewing machines, small tools, and work tables)
- Optional one-on-one artist-focused financial and business counseling through the Assets for Artists program.
For more details on our housing and studios, visit our FAQs.
Questions? Email Krystal Henriquez at email@example.com.
Here’s what artists are saying about their residency experience in The Studios
“My residency at The Studios at MASS MoCA was a very special time of exploration, learning, stimulation, and fun. You have an unbeatable combination there: good studio space, nice accommodations, great location, congenial number and mix of artists, gracious staff, and the unusual bonus of the visual resources of the world-class exhibitions of MASS MoCA right there. A fantastic mix.” — Linda Stillman, New York
“I was very impressed with how the residency was managed. Responses to questions were always prompt and friendly. This was so valuable to me, especially traveling from a long distance. I was able to really look forward to and enjoy the whole experience because of how well the residency details were managed.” — Jessica Bell, Vancouver
“Hospitality and administrative efforts were exceptional! I feel that the administrative team’s generosity, depth, and kindness set the tone for a culture that carried over to the residents.” — Brian Gillis, Eugene, OR
Click here to view our growing list of artists who have gone through the residency program.